Become an Affiliate
The West Virginia University (WVU) Center for Excellence in Disabilities (CED) welcomes all individuals and organizations that have an interest, expertise, and/or provide services to individuals with disabilities and their families within West Virginia or the larger Appalachian region to join the WVU CED as an Affiliate Member. We believe strongly in the power of partnerships and we welcome the additional collaborations that can be provided through active and engaged partnerships.
The WVU CED works with people with disabilities, members of their families and care providers, state and local government agencies, private agencies, and community providers in projects that provide training, technical assistance, service, research, and information sharing. The WVU CED operates with a focus on building the capacity of communities to sustain all of their citizens.
The WVU CED is one of 67 University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDDs) and the only UCEDD in WV. With research, demonstration, and personnel preparation funding, the UCEDD network has collectively undertaken numerous projects in areas of importance to people with disabilities across the lifespan and their families, such as health care, community-based services, inclusive and meaningful education, transition from school to work, employment, housing, assistive technology, and transportation.
WVU CED Affiliation is open to any individual holding a faculty or staff appointment in an academic organization. Affiliation is also open to people with disabilities, their family members and caretakers, other agencies, service organizations, and community members.
As a WVU CED Affiliate the Center may provide you with:
- Guidance and tailored mentorship with regard to research involving individuals with disabilities and/or their families
- Introduction of your interests and expertise to our academic, state, and community networks
- Promotion of your research through AUCD reporting and WVU CED promotional venues as well as UCEDDs across the country who have similar interests
- Consultation and support services
- Networking opportunities with specific services throughout the state including advocacy groups
- Additional ways to disseminate information you are trying to share
- Recent legislation information and other policy-related materials pertinent to WV
- Pre and Post grant award assistance
- Information about disabilities and disability services in WV
- More detailed information for services provided to WVU CED Affiliates can be found here
As a WVU CED Affiliate, you may be asked to:
- Share your experiences, expertise, and collaborate with Center staff and other WVU CED faculty and staff affiliates, the WVU CED Center Advisory Committee members, and other partners
- Help promote the WVU CED in priority research areas
- Provide requested information, such as biographical sketches, resumes/CVs, organizational descriptions, publications/presentation lists, and responses to brief surveys
- Provide input on WVU CED initiatives in your area of expertise.
- Write letters of support for the WVU CED where appropriate
- Partner with the WVU CED on relevant funding proposals and important projects for WV
Looking for a way to be more connected to CED?
Individuals can now sign up to be a Community Affiliate of the CED.
Community Affiliates will:
- Receive updates on CED news and events
- Have opportunities to provide input regarding programs, services and research projects
- Stay connected to CED